Monday, December 1, 2008

My Act of Resistance

Part 1:
Today, wore a sign that said "My purity is my sanity," along with Shoji and Aliyya. Throughout the day, I did not get any bad feedback from my peers. Occasionally a few people would ask why I was wearing the sign. I personally decided to wear the sign to show that keeping your "purity" or your virginity is not a bad thing. It protects you from so many things such as; HIV/AIDS, other STD's, and pregnancy. Yes, there are condoms and they are like more than 90% effective in preventing pregnancy but it is not 100%. There is still a slim chance the worst could happen. Also, condoms stop most STD's, not all. Abstaining is the only way to stay fully protected from all sexual dangers/negative consequences. Also, abstinence will avoid all of the mental baggage from having sex. Overall, this was a good experience. I didn't talk with anyone who truly and fully disagreed with the message we was trying to portray. There were a couple people, my close friends, who made a couple jokes at my sign saying that it was a little feminine. However, that helped me to prove my point that females are not the only ones who need to worry about abstaining. That's why there was a 'representative' from each gender. Females= Shoji & Aliyya Males = Montrell. YAY!!!!!!!

Part 2:
Originally I planed to be silent for a week to demonstrate how people who work in sweatshops have no voice in the way they are treated. During this week I was not going to wear any brand that uses sweatshops like Nike. However, I was not able to start when I wanted to. I wanted to start Thanksgiving morning. That entire weekend I was forced to talk because my brother and grandfather had come to Milwaukee to celebrate the holiday. I still want to do this even though it probably will not be counted for a grade. I will officially start my other resistance this Wednesday. I can't start tomorrow because I have a huge TOK presentation to do and I have prepare non name brand outfits. Lastly, I am wondering if I should extend my term of silence as a means to show how dedicated I am to this cause and regretful I am for not starting when I wanted. If anyone gets to this point, please respond so I can know what to do.